A couple nights ago I continued on my quest to come up with a recipe for the lightest, fluffiest cake, and this is the best i've done (so far). It is a very quick cake to bake and would be an excellent cake for casual tea!
Melissa's Apple Cake Recipe:
1 apple, peeled and sliced
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 Cup granulated Sugar
1 Stick of Butter (room temp)
2 eggs (room temp)
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup sour cream
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
Preheat oven 350°C. I used my toaster oven!
1) Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time.
2) Sift all purpose flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Combine slowly into butter mixture, alternating with milk. Careful not to overbeat.
3) Add 1/4 cup - 1/3 cup sour cream to the mixture, and mix lightly.
4) In a non-stick cake pan, lay apples in concentric circles. Sprinkle with brown sugar.
5) Using a spatula, fluff up the batter. It should feel light and fluffy. Pour the batter on top of apples and bake for about 30 minutes until batter has been cooked thoroughly.