Sunday, October 28, 2007

Building a Colour Palette: A Winter Celebration Brunch

When looking for inspiration for parties, often I consider the guests of honor. I think about all of their favorite colors, activities, foods, and interests trying to find a central theme to build the party around. This past winter I hosted a congratulations brunch to celebrate the success of a dear friend securing her dream job, and the engagement two friends. In considering their favorites, I decided to base the color scheme of the event on two things: 1) the black and white coloring of my friend's little dog Zoe, 2) purple, the favourite color of the bride-to-be. With these two colors in mind, I began shopping for inspiration at the local fabric store. After finding a modern black and white toile fabric, I set out looking for accents in black, white, and purple.

Renting cloth napkins from your local party store in bold colors is one way of dressing up your table and adding character. You might also consider incorporating your colors in stemware and dishes, as I did with the use of black martini glasses and chargers. The table decor was complete with mirrored tiles from the local hardware store, white carnations tightly packed in black vases from the home decorating store, and glass tealight holders. The eye catching black and white toile and accents deep purple worked so well that it inspired the bride-to-be to use this color story in her own wedding!

The Finished Product:
Photo By S.Roberts

No comments: